Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Life: Re-Painting The Town Red

Disclaimer: The person or persons discussed in this entry are people with whom I have no ill will towards. This blog is purposed to uplift God as well as inspire and challenge those who will read it. Any negative feedback in regards to these people will be promptly refuted and defended by the word of Proverbs 10:12. 

Preface: This monologue is an excerpt from the animated drama, Clannad. To better grasp the message, please watch the following video up to the 35 second marker. Thanks!



In sharing this with you, I would like to pose a question: are there moments in your life that you wish that you could turn a blind eye to or sweep under the rug...memories that make it hard to move past the past? To those of you who say 'no', our journey down this particular road stops here. However, all of those who say 'yes', I ask another question: do you believe it's just the bad memories that make progress difficult? For those on the fence, allow me to challenge your thinking.
Up until recently, I have been dealing with the changes in a relationship that I hold close to my heart. After reconnecting with my ex-girlfriend, whom I broke up with almost a year ago, I found myself rediscovering my feelings for her. At the same time, because I so desired to be successful in this endeavor, I decided to, when asked, choose a different route to arrive at the same destination. In spite of that, she had decided to pursue another whom she had invested time in. Despite offers of friendship from her and the new beau, it quickly became clear to me that such offers were of little consolation.
Now, because she and I experienced many of the same things together during our 8 1/2 months together, certain things have now become a hardship for me; as I live my daily life, there are places that I don't go, people with whom I no longer associate and topics in discussion that I have evaded. Those things, however, aren't all bad...in fact, most of them are places where she and I had the most fun as a couple...first date spots, random shops and stores, the whole nine yards. However, it makes it hard to know that those days, along with the person who I lived those days with, have seemingly withdrawn from my life.
However, last night, I spoke to a close friend of mine when discussing this dilemma and a new idea was presented to me: to make new memories in those old places.
In 2 Corinthians 5: 17 (KJV),  Paul says 'Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new!' Now, it could be said that this has little relevance because Paul spoke to a church in Corinth in the mid-50's CE (i.e. a loooooooong time ago!), but I want to give this old wisdom new context. I ask you a third question: do you want your healing? In the midst of our busy day, all it takes is some time to humble yourself and speak to God...seek Him with your whole heart and ask for that change, for a new joy. I know that it's hard to let go of those old memories and really put this into practice, but if you open yourself to being a new person in Christ daily, you'll find yourself able to confront those old things, people and situations a new person.

At the end of this, I would like to leave you with a song. As a part of a praise and worship team, many songs have ministered to me, but this song speaks to my heart. I want to encourage you to live because you want your healing. Don't do it just to spite others or out of any backbiting inkling you have. Even if you bump into old things, confront them with new love. With God abiding in you, you will influence them and not the other way around.



With Love,
Steven Ray

1 comment:

Steven Ray said...

You know I'm not a bible person, and can't really quote scripture, but the bible does say something like God helps those that help themselves. So it's up to you to make a change when it comes to memories. Make old ones new ones. Look at the good things in life and build on them, the bad ones as a valley that you will turn into a peak. I hope what you wrote you will adhere to. Grandma